Under our Microgen Export Plan, Bord Gáis Energy is offering our customers, both business and homeowners, 18.5 cent per kWh for any excess electricity that they are microgenerating and exporting to the grid. This rate will be offered to both metered and eligible deemed* customers. This rate is subject to change.
To receive a payment for your exported electricity, you must agree to our Microgen Export Plan terms and conditions. You'll receive a copy of these when you sign up for our microgen plan.
To be eligible for our Microgen Export Plan:
- You'll need to be a customer of Bord Gáis Energy for your electricity supply. View our available plans.
- In addition, you must be exporting electricity to the grid and have submitted an NC6 or equivalent form to ESB Networks to connect your microgenerator. If you're unsure if you've sent an application form, you can contact ESB Networks to confirm this.
- If you're eligible for a smart meter, you'll need to get one installed by ESB Networks, so that your export volume can be measured. If you’re not eligible for a smart meter at this time, your export volume will be calculated based on your Deemed Export Quantity.
You can sign up to the Microgen Export Plan via your online account by following the below steps:
- Sign in to your online account. If you don't have an account, register here.
- Click on the grey banner 'You can sell your surplus energy' from within your account list or account details page, and follow the steps to sign up.
Please note, your payment will be made every six months as a credit to your supply invoice. For more information on microgeneration and our rates, please visit our microgeneration page.
*Deemed customers are customers who are not eligible under the National Smart metering program to have a smart meter installed. In this case, your export amount will be calculated (deemed) using a pre-determined formula.