There are a few simple things you can do to prepare your home before a storm and avoid any damage during a storm.
Take a look at our short videos on how to protect your home when the weather takes a turn for the worse.
How to prepare your home before a storm
If a storm is on the way, here are some things you can do to protect your home in advance:
- Bring any loose outdoor items (such as furniture, pots and bins inside), so they don’t blow away or cause damage.
- Park your car away from trees or walls if you can do it safely.
- Unplug all non-essential electrical devices to avoid damage from potential power surges.
- Make sure you know where to turn off your gas, electricity, and water supplies.
- Prepare a storm kit with all the essentials you might need.
Watch this video for more easy steps you can take before a storm.
How to protect your home during a storm
Follow these simple steps when a storm hits to help protect your home from damage:
- Close all your windows and doors – both internal and external – to prevent any damage.
- Close your curtains to help protect against any breaking glass.
- Never try to repair any damage outside until after the storm has passed.
- In the unlikely event that you need to evacuate your home, turn off your gas, water, and electricity before you leave (if it’s safe to do so).
Watch this video for more on protecting your home when its stormy out.