You may qualify for a microgen payment from Bord Gáis Energy if:
- You're an existing Bord Gáis Energy electricity customer, or you're signing up for an electricity or Dual Fuel plan with Bord Gáis Energy.
- You're exporting electricity to the grid and have sent an NC6 or equivalent form to ESB Networks to connect your microgenerator to the grid. If you're unsure about this, we can check this as your supplier, or you can contact ESB Networks to confirm.
- If you're eligible for a smart meter, you must have one installed to qualify for a payment*. If you don't have a smart meter, see I don't have a smart meter, can I still get a payment for exporting electricity?
- You'll also need to accept our Microgen Export Plan terms and conditions to receive a payment.
If you're eligible, you can sign up to our Microgen Export Plan via your online account by following the below steps:
2. Click on the grey banner below your account number 'You can sell your surplus energy' from your account list page:
Or from your account dashboard:
3. On the next page, click the 'Sign up' button:
4. Accept the terms and conditions and click 'Submit'. That's it, you're all set.
Payment will be made every six months as a credit to your supply invoice. For more information on microgeneration and our rates, visit our microgeneration page.
*If you're eligible to upgrade to a smart meter and object to a smart meter installation by ESB Networks, you'll be ineligible for payment for your exported electricity. If you're receiving a deemed microgen payment and have refused a smart meter, your payment will end from 11 September 2023. For more information, visit cru.ie.