Submitting meter readings will ensure accuracy of your bills and can help save you money. There are a few easy ways to submit a meter reading online which we have listed below.
If you're unsure how to read your meter, please follow our step-by-step guide. Alternatively, check out the below videos.
How to read your electricity meter
How to read your gas meter
Bord Gáis Energy online account
Once you have signed in to your online account, simply follow the steps below to submit your meter reading.
If you do not have an online account, you can simply register.
Step 1: Select the account that you would like to submit a meter reading for.
Step 2: In the middle of your account summary page, click the ‘SUBMIT A READING’ tab.
Step 3: Enter your meter reading into the field displayed. Once you have entered your meter reading, click the 'Submit' button.
If your read has been submitted, a successful message will appear to confirm that your meter reading has been sent for approval to either Gas Networks Ireland or ESB Networks.
Please note: There are some scenarios where an unsuccessful message may appear after submitting your meter reading, and this can be due to the following:
- If the meter reading you have entered is lower than your last actual read, this will not be accepted.
- If your meter has not been read directly by Gas Networks Ireland or ESB Networks in more than twelve months.
- If your meter type is not supported through our online service.
Gas Networks Ireland
You can submit a gas meter reading directly to Gas Networks Ireland via their online meter reading tool here or by calling 1800 427 732.
You can submit an electricity meter reading directly to ESB Networks via their online meter reading tool here, by texting 087 9609223(in format MPRN(space)reading), or by calling 1800 33 77 77.
Bord Gáis Energy mobile app
You can also download the MyBGE app to submit your meter readings through your mobile or tablet device.
When submitting reads online:
- If the read(s) you have submitted is not accepted by Gas Networks Ireland / ESB Networks, we are unable to issue a bill using the submitted read(s).
- Networks may not accept the read(s) you have submitted if it is not in line with previous reads received.
- You may not always see the exact reading you have submitted reflected on your bill however, networks will still use the read(s) to improve their estimate of your usage.