Can I change the details on my bill/account?

If you're looking to change any of the following details, here is how to do it:

  • To amend your phone number or your email address, you can edit this in the 'Profile' section of your online account. If you don't have an online account, you can register here.
  • To amend your supply address or your correspondence address, you'll need to request this by submitting a query to us.