How do I close my account?
You'll need to contact us to request closure of your account, and provide us with the information outlined below. To contact us, call us on 01 611 01 01.
Information you must provide when closing your existing account:
- A meter reading*
The importance of providing us with a final read is to ensure that you are only billed for the consumption you used up to the point of leaving the premise. See How do I read my meter? for help with reading your meter.
- Contact details for the landlord or the new occupier
This will help minimise the risk of meter disconnection.
- Forwarding address for your final bill
This is to ensure that the final bill and any other final correspondence relating to your closed account reaches you directly after you have left the premise.
This number is located on the top right-hand corner of your bill.
- Account number
This number can also be found on your bill.
When we speak to you in relation to closing your existing account, you can request to have a new account set up for your new home. You'll need to provide us with the information outlined below and we'll look after the rest.
Information to provide us with to set up your new account for your new home:
- Address for your new home
- MPRN/GPRN (this number is located on the top right-hand corner of your bill)
- A meter reading*
*If you're unable to provide us with a meter reading, our customer service agents can provide you with an estimate reading to close your account. The estimated read, while based on historic consumption, may not be as accurate as an actual read. You'll be asked to provide verbal approval before we can use this estimate as your closing read. Please keep in mind that amending closing estimates is at the discretion of the corresponding network company and may not always be approved.
- If you're a landlord and your tenants have moved out of your property, please let us know. You must sign on to the account for the interim duration until new tenants move into your property, to avoid any risk of disconnection.
- Due to our obligations under data protection laws, we only retain personal information for as long as you have an account with us. After you close your account, we only retain your personal data for a short period of time. If you require copies of your recent bills, please download these from your online account before closing your Bord Gáis Energy account, as they may not be available after you close your account.